Monday, August 29, 2016

Colin Kaepernick Refuses to Stand for American Anthem

I've been seeing a mixed response to Colin Kaepernick's recent statement. It seems like the big rejection of his message stems from a perceived disconnect between the idea of "US oppression of people of color" and "Kaepernick's stupid amount of money to play a game."
If a private corporation in a country can make a few people of color millionaires (entertaining the masses) then there's no way that same country could oppress people of color? I'm not sure that's sound logic.
On the other hand, If a country IS oppressing people of color, and one of those few millionaires speaks out against it, I would imagine that person would be instantly bombarded with disrespectful vitriol. Perhaps even censured.
I think the backlash have something to do with the fact that football is escapism for millions of Americans. We go to football to forget about our lives for 4 hours a week. Now, with one of the big names suddenly bringing all the frustrations of the world into what I call a 'safe escape from reality,' I'm not surprised at the backlash.
There are comparisons about "who's the real hero:" the guy who went to war, or the guy who makes millions. And, well, I don't think that's the point. I don't think Kaepernick has ever said he did this to be a hero. He also hasn't said anything against the military or those who serve. It's about domestic racist systems of oppression, like laws designed to disproportionally target people of color. They exist. Today.
Personally, I've never cared too much for Kaepernick, but it seems like he wants to exercise his rights to not stand for our country's anthem - risking a multimillion-dollar dream job - because he sees an injustice in his society and decided to use his platform to speak against it. It's not risking his life directly (though he's probably getting death threats). It is for sure risking his livelihood. In America, if you risk your ability to make money, you're risking a lot. I've gotta say, that's pretty brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year New Call

My first sermon at my first call!  St. Luke Presbyterian Church Introducing Isaiah Based on:  Isaiah 61:10-62:3 & Luke 2:2...