Friday, March 3, 2017

Lent 2017

Starting it a day and a half after ash Wednesday. It could be attributed to a rough week of a cold and some sleep regression issues with the toddler, but I feel like I didn't need ash Wednesday to remind me of my mortality. I've been wrestling with a deep awareness of mortality for about a year now.

Last year started with a blessed death of a beloved congregant. But that summer was filled with emersion into many terribly difficult and unexpected deaths. The fall experience turned back toward the academic with insights into a constructed theological model featuring the death of God.

The blessing of death should remind us of the importance in each living moment. Easter is the big moment I am building toward in a year, but what if it is not assured? Perhaps that is the gift of Easter, not transcendence of death, but the promise of something more than only death for our lives. In this way, death loses its power to restrain the evolutionary instinct of self-preservation which holds species back from taking innovative leaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year New Call

My first sermon at my first call!  St. Luke Presbyterian Church Introducing Isaiah Based on:  Isaiah 61:10-62:3 & Luke 2:2...